Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Range.

On Wed, 07 May 2014 19:26:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:27:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

I assume the garage door is insulated with foil backed foam or
fiberglass. Therefore, RF through the garage door is a difficult
path.

Door is a sheet-metal sandwich with the insulation between the two
metal panels. Walls are foil-backed exterior sheathing plus
foil-backed drywall inside.

First, try a simple experiment. Open the garage door wide and test
the range of your unspecified model garage door opener radio. If you
get normal ranges (200ft or more), then the problem is the garage door
shielding. However, if the range is the same, the tuning on either
the transmitter or receiver is off frequency.

Dramatic range improvement.

[snip]

How about this... Drill hole in door, fit water-tight thru-hole BNC
connector, attach rubber ducky antennas to each side. Would that be
enough of a "window"?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |