Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Kiln Drying Root Ball Slabs

On 5/9/2014 2:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/9/2014 1:47 PM, Sonny wrote:
I spoke with the nearest kiln, about drying the walnut leg slabs.
The guy said I don't want to kiln dry root ball material, or it will
split all kinds of ways. He said that kind of wood needs to air dry
slowly.

I would have thought the root wood would be more stable, be less
resistant to splitting, compared to straight grained or normal lumber.

I'm not an expert, but it seems logical. Thick sections of anything has
to be done slowly, be it wood or a pot roast. You don't want the root
balls to be like a steak seared on a hot grill.

And root balls have more twisting and stresses in them, like burls.

--
Jeff