Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Questions about heating and bending stainless steel...

In article .com,
Mickyfinn wrote:

replying to Joe Gwinn , Mickyfinn wrote:
joegwinn wrote:

In article .com, FAB
Shop Magazine Direct
So that's where you have been lurking.
Anyway, I went through this a few years ago, and came to the conclusion
that type 316L was the answer, because heating would not reduce rust
resistance. The tread was in September 2010, titled "Making
double-prong skewers".
The skewers I made (big hairpins made of 1/8 inch rod, bent cold) work
just fine, and there is no corrosion, even when left in water or
cleaned in the dishwasher.
Joe Gwinn

Ha! Guess I should have searched harder first! Thanks for the heads up
Joe. I ordered a few pieces of 304 yesterday to play around with, and
also some 1018 steel that I was originally thinking of doing them in and
oil seasoning them like a cast iron pan. Depending how these turn out,
I'll try the 316 next time! I'll try and throw up a pic or two of the
finished product!

It's 316L, the L meaning low carbon.

While various posters have commented correctly that type 303 or 304 are
probably OK for things that don't get red hot, I went for 316L so that
even if they were overheated in the grill, nothing bad would happen.
In small quantities, there isn't much price difference, and 316 is
somewhat stronger as well.

The hairpin design is to prevent food rotation. A 5/16 or 3/8 square
works reasonably well.

Joe Gwinn