Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Tom Miller Tom Miller is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Range.

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:27:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

---
What I'd do would be to drill a hole through the garage wall next to
the door but up high, then connect a length of 50 ohm coax to a
weatherproof 900MHz rubber duckie antenna with a 90 degree mounting
flange/bracket and pass the coax through the hole from the outside
of the garage to the inside.

Next, I'd mount the rubber duckie to the outside wall with the whip
oriented vertically, and weatherize the installation.

Finally, I'd mount another rubber duckie on the inside wall, with
the whip oriented vertically, and connect the coax.

Voila! passive repeater, - probably with some gain - nice clean
install, and your warranty stays intact since you haven't even
touched the holy RX.

You really should do the math on that idea to find out why it won't work.
Also, they do not use 900 MHz for this model.