Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default A tiny metal sliver, --- Job completed

On 5/8/2014 6:28 PM, wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair amdx wrote:
I flipped on the breaker and it stayed on, good sign.

Smoke test: pass!

I turned on my sander to see if the Sodium Vapor light still shut
down, yippee, it stayed on.

Progress.

I autopsied the connections in the conduit body, (square elbow with
removable cover) and found the ground wire completely corroded
through.

Did those bodies have a gasket between the lid and the body? I've seen
them both ways, with gasket and without. The gasket is usually about
2 mm or so of neoprene rubber.

One of them I sealed shut with pvc cement, it didn't leak. The other
one, I don't think it had a gasket and I didn't seal it. I don't know
what my thinking was. (lack of thinking)

And after
http://tinyurl.com/ne8x3oq

I see the tower base that precipitated all this in the first place
seems to be out of use...

Yes, I had a rotatable Flag antenna, with a variable termination.
It worked great, until a Fiberglas arm gave up. That was second
iteration, on the first I used Bambo, that I cut, dried and epoxy
painted. I got more than 10 years out of it. I still have all the parts,
but now I have an Internet Radio, and that allows me to
listen to almost any radio station. No more DX listening.
The Internet radio took away my interest in radio antennas. :-(

Here's a picture of the antenna when it was assembled.
http://tinyurl.com/lzl7skf

And the tripod with rotor.
http://tinyurl.com/mblb9cc

I had it setup so I could even tilt the crossarm,
for repair, transformer or Vactrol changes.

http://tinyurl.com/lge9myf

And as someone mentioned the GCFI is bad, the test button still
doesn't work. I'll replace that soon.

If you have any other GFCIs around, you might test them too. It's a
little bit cheaper to buy the two-pack or three-pack at the big box
store.

Thanks for posting back with the results!

Matt Roberds