Posted to uk.d-i-y
rbel rbel is offline

Default Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

On Thu, 08 May 2014 16:44:01 +0000, Chris
wrote:

replying to crsnham , Chris wrote:
crsnham wrote:

Did you get your chair converted to manual? If so, how do you do it, I need

to know, please....

I would not think that it would be possible as, while the motorised
mechanisms are relatively simple, the good manual ones are designed
specifically for the characteristics of the chair - ie does it have a
foot rest, if so is it required to operate independently of the back
rake; does it have brake or does the mechanism allow the chair to be
positioned just moving the body.

Replacing the motor is not an option. This is to satisfy someone who Hates
the electric version.

Cannot say that I blame them. I tried motorised recliners when I
first decided to get one over 30 years ago there was not much
available but I quickly decided that the motorised chairs were poor. I
bought a Norton recliner which was an amazing piece of kit, incredibly
comfortable, which lasted 28 years before the mechanism was so worn
that I had to get out of the chair to adjust the rake.

When I looked for a replacement I shopped around for ages - the only
decent motorised unit was around 1500 from J Lewis (quiet with a good
range of adjustment) and the best of the manual chairs was quite good
other than the cover was only available in leather and the so-called
'zero-gravity' mechanism needed to be tweaked by me to get it really
comfortable when the foot rest was up but the back was in the vertical
position.
--
rbel