Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default A tiny metal sliver, --- Job completed

On 5/6/2014 5:56 PM, amdx wrote:

I've been working on the project since 9am. I now have about 16ft of
new conduit in and ran all new wire, no connections underground. I
replaced what was 12 gauge with 10 gauge. I had a bit of a snag getting
the cable puller ran through the conduit. I started at the other and and
had the same problem. A little end adjustment and it made it through the
snag. Once I got things going it pulled very easy, if
not for that connection problem you mentioned, I may have ran a couple
more #10s and really looked after that voltage drop. I had thoughts
about doing that but decided the connection would be a fight.
At this point, I have not reburied anything or made any connections
at either end. I'll probably just pick up tools before dark and finish
on another day.
My memory failed me, I did not bury a box, I put in two of the small
elbows with access covers held by two screws. These made a U around the
tower that started the whole problem.
I'll post a couple of pictures after I rest.
Mikek

I finished making the connections at both ends last night. I flipped on
the breaker and it stayed on, good sign. I went to the work shed and it
had power, I tested a couple of outlets, they tested properly. I turned
on my sander to see if the Sodium Vapor light still shut down,
yippee, it stayed on. The 10 gauge made the difference in the voltage
drop. The conduit was 1/2", except where I replaced it with 3/4".
The original installer should have put in 10 gauge wire, it's 80ft,
but the shed he wired to just has a light and one outlet. I built the
second shed with all the high power equipment. So it made sense at his time.
I autopsied the connections in the conduit body, (square elbow with
removable cover) and found the ground wire completely corroded through.
I lifted out the wire nut with about an inch of wire attached, the other
one corroded apart up inside the wire nut.

Here's a couple of pictures, Before.
http://tinyurl.com/krpx5yk

And after
http://tinyurl.com/ne8x3oq

If Jim reads this, you can see the Jawhorse in the back ground,
I used it to hold a shaft with three reels of wire for easy
unwinding as I pulled it.

And as someone mentioned the GCFI is bad, the test button still doesn't
work. I'll replace that soon.

The sod went back in and looked good.
BTW. I noticed water seeping into puddle at 18"
Water table is still very high.
Mikek