Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

A friend had to junk their old electric one as the gears stripped, it use
nylon gears and the orignil maker was no longer in business (Probably ran
out of crap nylon gears.)

If it is only the motor and not the mecanism, it could well be some standard
motor, one would need to extricate it without all the spings and bits flying
all over the room. I have to say when I saw the innards of one of these
devices, it put me off them for ever!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"Chris" wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to Mick., Chris wrote:
mrcycleuk wrote:

Hi all,
I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second

hand
The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing
up the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.
It has a single transformer voltage of 25V
With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and
it would be better to buy a new chair.
Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?
While no carpenter I would like to have a go.
Any thoughts welcomed,
Mick.

Did you ever get an answer how to convert an electric chair to manual. I
want to do that. Please help...

i would imagine a new mechanism would be needed, as the manual chairs have
springs and counter balance levers all over the mechanism, along with a
lock when it is closed up,

the electric models just use the motor to position the mechanism,

surely you can replace the motor?