Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default TV legal ad focused on table saw injuries

On 5/7/14, 11:53 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/7/2014 10:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/7/14, 6:19 AM, knuttle wrote:
I was ripping a piece of 1X4 to fit under a mirror. My first
stupid mistake was to set the out-feed feather board ...

I believe that sentence should stop there. Out-feed feather boards
are dangerous, period.

Actually there is an instance when they are quite useful, If you are
plowing a grove and or not making a through cut.

I do this all the time when cutting groves for drawer bottoms.

Anything "through" should not have an out feed feather board.

Yes, of course. That was the context of the conversation... he said
ripping.

And I sit here typing this while listening to the flooring guys
cutting the hickory wood treads for our stairs using a bench top Skil
TS with out benefit of miter gauge or rip fence. They have
insurance.

I believe those thing are responsible for probably 90% of TS accidents.
I was helping a friend finish out his studio space and his other friend
was doing most of the work with his own power tools. He had one of
those Skils, which should never be referred to as table saws... they are
so freakin tiny. Anyway, no guard, no miter gauge, no splitter, and the
thing was sitting directly on a smooth concrete floor. I made one cut
on the thing while experiencing an instant cold sweat and that was my
last cut with it. I refused to do any more.

I told my friend that this guy was going to hurt himself, not a matter
of if, but when.
He called me about 6 months later to say the guy was in the hospital
recovering from reconstructive surgery on his hand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--