Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default TV legal ad focused on table saw injuries

"BillinGA" wrote in message

While watching Delta Force for the 23rd time, I saw an ad from a law firm
going after table saw manufacturers. They showed injuries such as missing
digits and nasty cuts with many stitches...the narrative from a pretty
blonde that said manufacturers did not want you to know there were
preventative measures available and these saw companies could be held
accountable for your injuries. They showed and named the only saw I am
aware of that will prevent many of these injuries. It may be just me but it
seems like a suitable comparison would be going after an automaker that

did not provide airbags before they were required by law. I guess miter
saws are next. Should have seen this coming when McDonalds was
successfully sued for selling hot coffee. I am aware of the argument that a
brake cartridge is a small price to pay for safety but wonder if other
woodworkers don't share my opinion that safe operation of any saw is the
responsibility of the operator, no matter when their device was made and
sold. Certainly no slap at SawStop...wish I had one. Wish I had a lot of
new tools.

Table saws could be the nose under the tent for the lawyers... if they enjoy
success there other power tools will join the party. In the future I can
see:

A lock-out device on table saws that will not allow them to start if there
is no fence or miter gauge installed (the flooring guys would hate that and
other fixtures would be a problem without corresponding sensors (e.g.,
sleds, tenonning jigs)).
A lock-out device on drill presses such that if the work is not clamped down
the drill press will not start (I'd be surprised if anyone "always" clamps
the work down).
A lock-out device on bandsaws such that if the space between the upper blade
guide and the wood exceeds say 1/4" the saw will not start.
A laser activated kill switch with brake on jointers if your hands get
within say 3" of the knives (a brake on a fly wheel like a chainsaw...
non-destructive unlike SawStop).
Etc.
I'm sure we can all think of various tools and "dangerous" operator
practices that could be technologized to make them "safe," and thus become
retro-active targets for the lawyers.

I'd think chainsaws would be the most dangerous power tool out there...
perhaps the day will come that a mandatory training and certification class
is required to buy or operate one... YouTube is full of good examples of
bad practices and older saws that lack all the "modern" safety devices could
be easy targets.

Ugh... the Mommy State is to be dreaded...