Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mickyfinn Mickyfinn is offline

Default Questions about heating and bending stainless steel...

Hi, found your forum and it looks like you would be able to help. I'm
interested in making some skewers for kabobs as gifts and I'm looking for
some input on the best type of stainless, and info on how heat treating to
bend and twist it would affect the anti-corrosive properties. Basically,
I'm thinking some 3/16" square bar stock and heating it with either a
mapp/oxy torch or oxy-acet if needed. I'd like to put some twists over
the length of it and then bend the end in a circle of sorts to act as a
handle. Looking over the stainless options, I was thinking 304 but not
too sure that would be my best bet. I was also wondering how the heat
would affect the stainless when it comes to corrosion or even just
discoloring. I was reading a bit about passivating pastes as a way to
clean it up after the heat treating, but not sure if it's necessary.
Should be a fun project, and I'm sure there is a learning curve for making
them but they'll be pretty cool if I can get them to turn out right!

Any thoughts and ideas on the project as a whole would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Evan

--
posted from