Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Installing Central A/C Yourself?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/6/2014 4:22 PM, sms wrote:
I've been getting quotes for central A/C and they all seem very high.

The basic components are available to me at the following prices:

Air Conditioning Condensing Unit Horizontal Discharge, 13 SEER,
Single-Phase, 2 Ton, R410A $1300

Evaporator: $230

Replacement furnace: $550

So the big items are about $2300 including tax. The quotes I've been
getting are around $7000.

I don't really need a new furnace, but the existing one is about 32
years old and it's so tall that to install the A/C would require a lot
of duct work to fit in the evaporator, while with a new, shorter
furnace, there is no duct work needed.

The 230V power and all the plumbing are already in place. The electrical
panel needs a circuit breaker connected to the 230V wiring that's coiled
up behind it. I need to change the furnace blower motor from plug-in to
hard-wired with a switch, which is easy to do.

Has anyone here done their own A/C install?

I was employed for six years, doing just that.
There is a heck of a lot to know, and a lot of
specialty parts to have on hand. Not saying it's
impossible, but it took me several installs to
get the hang of it.

Hi,
My question is how about warranty claim when it is needed?
Or insurance coverage if damaged? When they found out who
installed it. And 32 YO furnace? That is low efficiency
energy hog!!!