Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default straightening wire

Eli the Bearded wrote:
Is there an easy way to take wire off a spool and get it straight?
I'm working with 12ga galvinized steel here, in lengths of about
two feet.

I know the jewelry people use nylon tipped pliers (squeeze tight
and pull through, repeat as needed), which seems fine for very small
soft wire, but I don't think that's going to work on this heavy stuff.

Elijah
------
has been trying to bend it straight by hand

Take a heavy slide hammer, lock the wire in it and the other end in a
vice. Pull it tight then hit the weight hard a couple times. The shock
will stretch the wire just enough to straighten it. If you don't have a
slide hammer use a chunk of weight with a hole in the middle, slide the
wire into the hole, clamp a pair of vice grips on the end and hit the
weight against the vice grips.

--
Steve W.