Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Korg SP250 Mainboard no audio output

"2phar" wrote in message ...

On 5/6/2014 12:36 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
2phar wrote:
To follow up this issue..
I replaced the DAC and system is now producing audio again.

Only remaining problem is a few keys on the keyboard not working fully.
It appears the switches are those rubber membrane / carbon pad things..
so lots of potential there for flake outs.

yay.

how did you remove the original chip?

I used ChipQuik solder paste along one side and a pretty hot 40 watt
iron to get one side molten enough that i could lift it slightly with a
pick. then it came off easy enough doing same on the other side. There
appeared to be no issue with adhesive holding down the package itself.

Being my first go at SMT, I initially tried to cut the package away from
the pins with a knife but that didnt go very well.. some of the pins
just bent and broke one track and pulled a few pads off the board. That
led to some tedious unbending and repositioning the pads with a 10x
magnifier and bridging one track with some 36 swg copper wire, but got
there in the end. Live and learn.

You need to put just vertical pressure on the pins as close to the package
as you can, so you are not sawing or moving them side to side.
The blade will just click straight through them one by one causing no
damage.

Gareth.