Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

On 5/5/2014 11:17 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 05/05/2014 06:04 PM, Ken Olson wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 05 May 2014 19:47:33 -0400, John wrote:

I take them off and sharpen on a bench grinder. With all the trees and
shrubs about my yard dropping twigs they get nicked and dull quickly.
Makes a noticible difference in performance and looks much neater, no
brown sheen on top from being ripped off rather than cleanly cut.

John

I'm glad a grinder works for you. Metal files work best for me and I
don't turn the blade edges blue.

I use a 4" angle grinder. Used carefully, no blue.

I used a 6" bench grinder, and no blue either. I run a couple of passes
on one side, then flip it over and do the other side. I don't "dwell" a
long time, as it only takes maybe one second for a pass, taking a light
grind.

Doing it this way keeps the blade cool enough for me to touch it with my
hands.

Jon

Belt sander works well too