Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Painting shutters

wrote:
On Tue, 6 May 2014 00:37:01 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I have vinyle shutters that are a hunter green color and badly faded. My
wife wants to paint them black. Can this be done and it last okay? I read
somewhere that you are not supposed to go from a light color ot a dark
one. Something about it building too much heat and causing the paint to peel??

I have heard this but haven't tried it...

Armor All can bring new life to faded, chalky vinyl shutters. If you got a
couple that are easy to reach, it might be worth trying a small spot to
see.

If you arbour all them, forget about painting them for another 10
years.
And do NOT paint vinyl shutters black They WILL warp and twist and
dance in the sun.

There are ways to remove Armor All. Diluted Woolite (8:1) and a micro fiber
cloth should work as does diluted Simple Green, really diluted...