Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default Coatings For A Wooden Deck ?

On 5/5/2014 9:57 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

If this is an duplicate, I apologize.
I think my Post on this a way back never made it, so will try again.

Have an older wooden Deck, the surface of which is pretty splintered
and not too smooth anymore. But the wood itself, seems good; just a
miserable surface now.

I've seen several ads now for these Deck refinishing coatings.
There's one by Behr (Home Depot), and I think Rust Oleum has one also.
Probably others too ?

Anybody have any experiences with any of these ?

Particularly, which are "good," and which to avoid ?

Any negatives to their usage ? Good approach ?
Or, just forget and replace the entire wood Deck floor ?

BTW: Are these coatings used on the railings of the Deck also ?

Any thoughts, caveats, pros and cons, etc. on using any of them would be
most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

---
protection is active.

I've used Rustoleum Deck & Concrete Restore and if you follow the
instructions exactly according to the directions it works wonders on
concrete. I've thought that it would work well on wood siding and
thought about using it but it doesn't come in unlimited color
selections. Your deck looks really rough but if I had a wooden deck I'd
give it a try after repairs. It says you have to use a special
applicator but it makes the finish very rough. I'm thinking about
finishing my entire painted pool deck with Restore but I want to use a
smoother roller for a smoother finish.

As a side note: The trick to concrete is to etch the concrete first. I'm
not sure if etching is in the instructions but Restore is TOUGH. Where I
used Restore on painted concrete it adhered well. I have no reason to
believe it wouldn't work as advertised on a wooden deck.

http://rustoleumrestore.com/dcr/