Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Painting shutters

nestork wrote in
:

Stryped1:

Yes you can paint vinyl. People paint vinyl siding to change the
colour of their house all the time. Vinyl siding manufacturers
recommend that the homeowner not paint the vinyl siding a darker
colour than the original vinyl.

Window manufacturers recommend that you do not paint their windows,
but the reason is not because paint won't adhere to vinyl. It's
because their windows are normally made of WHITE vinyl to keep the
vinyl as cool as possible. Any other colour would result in the vinyl
absorbing more light and becoming warmer. Vinyl has a wide "glass
transition temperature", which means that it goes from a hard brittle
cold plastic to a soft easily distorted warm plastic over a wide
temperature range, and so even a small change in the temperature of
the plastic can result in a large decrease in it's stiffness and
hardness. The manufacturers know that keeping the vinyl cool will
minimize damage to the window from the vinyl stretching and distorting
under it's own weight.

The spray paint that's made for plastic is called "Fusion", but I'm
not sure who makes it. Any home center should sell it.

So, tell your better half that there's no problem painting the
shutters, but she has to pick a colour that's no darker than the
Hunter Green the shutters were originally. And, I would use an
exterior latex paint to paint them, OR the Fusion paint that comes in
a rattle can.

And, I would use an exterior latex paint to
paint them, OR the Fusion paint that comes in a rattle can.

100% acrylic latex to be more precise. Most flexability. Plastic expands
& contracts A LOT.