Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 05 May 2014 01:59:15 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 03/05/2014 18:24, Uncle Peter wrote:

Why do I keep seeing overflow pipes (or boiler condenser pipes, or
whatever they are) on people's houses with the pipe curved round 180
degrees so it faces the wall?

If we are talking about the pressure relieve pipe, then that is because
this is the correct way to install them. They should never normally
carry water, so getting a wall wet etc is of no concern. However if they
do operate, they could eject near boiling water with some force - so
making sure this does not hit someone is important.

Why is it important to stop something that almost never happens from
hitting someone who is almost never standing right next to it?

Because you can.

It's a simple easy answer to a known (and not uncommon) problem.

--
Adam