Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
HomeGuy HomeGuy is offline

Default Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

Frank unnecessarily full-quoted:

I took my 5 year old Honda into the shop to service mainly because

(because he can't turn a wrench. Which I expect for anyone spending
a fortune on a Gucci lawnmower made by Honda)

Carburetor was done, oil and air filter change, lubing, steam
cleaning and blade sharpening. All for less than $100. Well
worth it for me.

I buy sears craftsman mowers, which cost $250, never change the oil
(just keep topping it up), store them with what-ever gas they had after
the last cutting of the year, take the air filter off once in a while
and shake it clean.

But I sharpen the blades myself on my 1 hp 8" table grinder at least 4
times a year. I mow the lawn at 2 different locations, and have a mower
at each place - one is self propelled 6.75 hp 22", the other is 6.5 hp
21".

I bought a bunch of generic 22" universal blades at TSC last year when
they landed on the discount table at $5 each. Funny thing is that I
took about 1/8" off the tips of one of them and I'm using it on the
mower with the 21" deck. Go figure.

Some lame-ass google-groper newbie InTheSouth (stanshelton @ gmail.com -
where are you Stan? In Orlando FL? What is dybh?), while replying to a
4-year-old post by full-quoting it (and not saying or adding anything?)
quoted another door knob (James H) saying this:

Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

Of course you're supposed to sharpen your lawnmower blades.

Anyone that doesn't is a dolt. Not a real man.