Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] packrat1979@gmail.com is offline

Default LG 50PA5500 Faulty Power Supplies

I need some help with another troublesome set in my shop right now, this time the problem isn't so much the diagnosis but finding replacement parts that actually work. Set is an LG 50PA5500, about 2-3 years old I believe. Powers up fine with no signal connected, OSD is present. CH and VOL controls work, but bringing up the input menu or main menu will cause the set to shut down within about half a second. It appears that the power supply is crapping out when a bright image (full load) is displayed, sometimes the menu will stay on but try to go anywhere and the same thing happens.
Seemed like a pretty straightforward power supply issue, so I ordered a replacement from eBay. Got the replacement and installed it, and now the set won't power at all - the relay just cycles on and off. Put the original PS back in and it reverted to the original symptoms. The seller refunded my money and informed me that the power supply module was brand new, pulled from a boxed set which I assume was damaged in shipping (he had tested it out of the set without a full load). So it appears that these power supplies are so bad that some are faulty right out of the box. For this reason, I'm reluctant to order another one for fear of the same hassle - is there any known fix for this?
Power supply PN I believe is EAY62609701.
Thanks for any advice.