AHilton

Default Lathe Size?(Measure Lathe Swing)

My understanding is that the common way it is presented in North America is
that a 12" swing means that the distance from headstock spindle to bed is
6". So, the 12" is the maximum total diameter of a bowl for instance.

In the UK, they refer to a 12" lathe as the distance from headstock spindle
to bed is 12". So, the maximum size bowl would be 24".

- Andrew

"harryc" wrote in message
Lathes are advertised with a 12 inch swing over the bed or 6 inch swing
over the bed or even 20 inches over the bed(some advise the distance over
the banjo is smaller by at least 31/2 inches therefore a 12 inch bowl may
only measure 91/2 inches. My understand is that you measure from the head
stock to the bed and double that measure which is how large a bowl you can
turn. Example -12 inches does that mean you can turn a bowl 24 inches?
Someone please clear this up for me