Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Memory

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
I'd ask then why they chose that size? No reason not to make it bigger
if a longer time was needed/possible. Remember it was a completely
fresh concept.

It meant the drive was the same size as the then-standard half-height 5
1/4 inch hard discs and floppies.I know of no other reason for the disc
size.

I'd be most surprised if that was a consideration. After all, Philips
already had the laser disc which was LP sized. They could have made the CD
the same size as a 7" record with much greater playing time.

Nah!, they couldn't have called it Compact Disc then so the CD couldn't
have been invented;!...
--
Tony Sayer