Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Calia Calia is offline

Default Windows BMW dealer software cable for programming Bimmers

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:53:42 +0000, Calia wrote:

But I just want the older cheaper BMW cable (with pin 7 & 8 as the K-Line).
Do any of you have an older (1997 to 2003) BMW that uses the
older K-Line cables?

Googling for "bmw inpa cable k-line e39" I find more than I can shake
a stick at. Unfortunately, most are K+Dcan, which is fine, if both
pins 7 & 8 are K-line (as I don't need Dcan for a BMW E39).

But, almost none of the ads state which pins are for the K-Line.

For example:
$32 http://www.amazon.com/Loftek-Interfa.../dp/B007JRWH1M
$30 http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Inpa...-Bmw/162319547
$25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201047893380?lpid=82

What I'm hoping to find is a Windows user who owns a BMW E39 (i.e.,
any BMW 5-series from 1997 to 2003) who works on their own car.

The theory is that, if you work on your own car, you'll likely
already have the cable.

Then you can recommend which one you use that works with INPA
on a USB Windows 7 laptop & an 16-pin OBDII BMW E39 connector.