Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Memory

I'd ask then why they chose that size? No reason not to make it bigger if
a longer time was needed/possible. Remember it was a completely fresh
concept.

It meant the drive was the same size as the then-standard half-height 5
1/4 inch hard discs and floppies.I know of no other reason for the disc
size.

Incidentally one of the reasons why 5 1/4 floppies held as much as 8
inch was that one limit is the way the disc changes size with humidity!

Andy