Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT UKIP

On 02/05/14 19:51, John Williamson wrote:
On 02/05/2014 19:04, Tim Watts wrote:
Being scared of the next village is nothing new. Or country. Or race.
Just
something one would hope civilisation would overcome.

What if the next village *really are* ****s?

Are you saying that, contrary to my experience when meeting people from
all over the world, they are *not*, by and large, more similar than
different?

No - just raising a counter thought.

In my limited experience, Swiss people seem to be more engaged than
British people in politics.

They have a system that allows them to engage in a more fine grained
way. However, they respond by making the effort to be informed.

It took growing up in a multi-national, multi-lingual community to teach
me that, though.

Living in a peaceful and mostly civilised village it is also immediately
apparent what an annoying bunch of sods some other people can be when I
visit, say, Hastings and have to wade through the foul mouthed alchys
and chavs hanging around looking for trouble.

So I'm reasonably convinced that whilst people might be generally quite
similar on an average, there are huge disparities between relatively
close neighbours.