Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P IGot2P is offline

Default Building an exterrior door.

On 5/2/2014 8:41 AM, wrote:
My wife is wanting a stained front door. How hard would it be to
build a nice wood front door as well as a new front jam/casing?
How would you hang a door in a casing you made yourself?
It seems I have also read you can stain a metal door like

I have now with special stain. Have any of you tried that
and were you happy with the results?
Wuld a wood door I made myself have opening/closing problems
with changes in the weather due to expansion and contraction?

I have a sawmill with kiln dryed white oak available and that
is what I was thinking of using.

I appreciate any help. My wife is about to drive me crazy.

You can definitely stain a metal door to look like wood. I just took a
picture of the interior of our front door and uploaded it to one of my
domains. The door is steel stained to look like oak and thus match the
oak trim that surrounds it. Sorry, but I don't remember the product that
I used but you can see the door at
http://www.dongares.com/door.htm

Don