Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Building an exterrior door.

On Friday, May 2, 2014 9:41:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
My wife is wanting a stained front door. How hard would it be to build a nice wood front door as well as a new front jam/casing? How would you hang a door in a casing you made yourself?

It would seem to me that this is an advanced DIY project. Do you
have the skills? The necessary shop equipment? Is it worth your
time, with an unknown result, vs just buying a door? I do a lot of
repairs myself, but I would not do this one for two reasons, I don't
have the skill, experience and eqpt to make something that's going to
be an attractive front door.

It seems I have also read you can stain a metal door like I have now with special stain. Have any of you tried that and were you happy with the results?

They have gel type stains, that are made for wood where you don't want
the natural grain, but instead the product leaves a finish that looks
like grain. I've used it on wood doors and it worked great. Don't see
why similar wouldn't work on steel.

Wuld a wood door I made myself have opening/closing problems with changes in the weather due to expansion and contraction?

Sure possibly because of the wood and construction techniques.

I have a sawmill with kiln dryed white oak available and that is what I was thinking of using.

I appreciate any help. My wife is about to drive me crazy.

Simple, fast solution, buy a door.