Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building an exterrior door.

wrote:
My wife is wanting a stained front door. How hard would it be to
build a nice wood front door as well as a new front jam/casing? How
would you hang a door in a casing you made yourself?

It seems I have also read you can stain a metal door like I have now
with special stain. Have any of you tried that and were you happy
with the results?

Wuld a wood door I made myself have opening/closing problems with
changes in the weather due to expansion and contraction?

I have a sawmill with kiln dryed white oak available and that is what
I was thinking of using.

I appreciate any help. My wife is about to drive me crazy.

To do it right requires a pretty well-equipped shop - molders , table saw
, jointer-planers , clamps , etc . I suggest you find the nearest discount
lumber outfit and buy a prehung door unit . The expansion/contraction issues
are inherent in wood . A well-sealed and varnished door will have less
trouble than one that's raw . If there's also a security or storm door
that's even better . Don't forget to finish the top and bottom , that's the
biggest mistake DIYers make .
--
Snag