Phil Anselm

Default Cracks in Cherry blanks

Thanks to all who responded. One more question, please. I can't physically
handle a log 20" by 15', so cutting it up is necessary. Weight, not length,
is my limitation. Would it be better to split the log lengthwise, and have
longer sections, or leave it "in the round", and store shorter sections
(each piece's length determined by the weight I can manage)?
Thanks again,
Phil
"Michael Marxer" wrote in message
om...
Phil,

I would suggest taking the trunk in the longest sections possible.
(the whole 15' if you can manage) Cherry has an affection for
splitting at the ends, so use a generous coating of anchorseal (or
equivalent) at the cuts.
The longer your pieces are, the more time you'll have to rough good
wood.
Take the opportunity and don't fret if you lose some. Cherry is
wonderful to turn.

Mike