Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone Jack Safety And Toddlers ? Smart man

On 5/1/2014 7:11 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 4/30/2014 12:20 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

WW wrote:

Know it's a very good idea to cover all electrical outlets
with those Kiddy-safe blank plugs when you have a toddler
around, but is it also necessary for unused phone jacks ?

Re using a crimp on plug, I wouldn't put it past toddlers to be
able to figure out how to press on the latch and remove it pretty
quickly.

But as others have implied, the chances of receiving serious
injury are slim, particularly if there's nothing grounded around
that the kid could be in contact with while sticking his little
finger into the phone jack.

As I read the original thread this morning I considered the
likelihood of the toddler receiving a shock from a phone jack vs.
the potential of working that little plug out of the socket,
putting it in his mouth and perhaps choking on it.

My thought is that the latter presents a much greater danger than
the former.

Anyone else?

Hmm, a very valid concern, good thinking. I won't make any snarky
remarks on this.

A drop of hot melt glue which can be removed with pliers can keep a
toddler from pulling the plug. ^_^

TDD