Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Easy DIY . Daily Mail Supplement

On Fri, 02 May 2014 00:28:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 01 May 2014 20:21:05 +0100, chris French wrote:

In message , polygonum
writes
WD40 is recommended by Yale.

Who have no financial interest in locks needing to be replaced?

All too many "manufacturer of X recommends product Y" are without any
sensible grounds whatsoever. Except, maybe, money.

WD works fine as a light lubricant, and being an aerosol can easily
be sprayed into a locks innards.

I just puff in some powdered graphite.

If you mean for the bit the key goes into, yes. I thought it was
accepted practice not to use a conventional oil as dirt would stick to
it and gum it up. As regards the lock mechanism (that the key doesn't
touch) they're usually greased.

Sorry, quite agree.

Have some lock work this weekend - installing an electric release! As it
happens, there are strict instructions NEVER to lubricate it.

So I guess WD40 is OK (ducks)!