Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil for chain saw

On Thu, 1 May 2014 11:40:24 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:23:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:09:21 -0600, Tony Hwang

snip

engine oil in a chai saw?? I haven't run across one with either oil
injection or a 4 stroke engine yet. The only oil dip stick on a
chainsaw is for chain/bar oil. It is a stickier oil than engine oil.

Engine oil was commonly used both to mix in the gas and for chain oil back in the day - some still use it for bar/chain oil.

Dipstick on a chainsaw? Must be something new. I have been running those saws since the 50s and have owned many brands and years. Currenty have 4 up-to-date (one a 2013 model). Never seen a dipstick on any of them. No need as one always fills the tank to the top whenever adding gas.

4cyle saws are coming, not sure if there are any yet. Honda does have 4cycle string trimmers already.

Harry K

Lots of 4 stroke trimmers still use premix and run the fuel through
the crankcase for lubrication - just use valves for timing instead of
ports.