Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default wood flooring (making your own)

On 5/1/2014 11:30 AM, wrote:

I thought about that. I can get unstained red oak for 2.50 square
foot. Part of me likes the challenge. Also, in one area I am
wanting tomatch some existing hardwood.

Are the areas on the tongue and reliefs on the bottom necessary for
33/4 wide red oak?
I do have a small router table by the way.

For that wide I'd say it would be almost mandatory unless you can level
the subfloor like a table top.

As much or more to the point is do you have a planer to finish finish to
exact thickness to match the existing (or just a little more if you're
refinishing in place to sand down level) and the facilities to handle
pieces 6-ft and longer in length?

Not saying it's not doable but it may be more work than you're
bargaining for. How much (linear feet) do you need?

You can, you know, buy unfinished flooring in any species needed? Also,
you can almost always find prefinished rejects/seconds at bargain prices
owing to finish mismatches/defects primarily that can be refinished to
match simply by sanding as you're going to have to do, anyway.