Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bad power supply?

I have a small form factor HP computer. After the computer has been
unplugged for a while it is hard to get it to turn on again. The
momentary switch that turns on the computer had soda spilled on it and
since it was dirty inside I just replaced it with a new one. Still the
problem persists. Pressing the button usually gets no immediate
response from the LED that shows the computer is on. Then after a
variable length of time, from a few seconds to as long as 3 or 4
minutes, the LED glows and the computer starts. Or there is no action
at all and the computer does not start. If I press the button again it
may or may not start, again with a variable delay. I removed the cover
of the computer and wired in a switch across the green wire and a
ground wire on the power supply. Closing this switch turns on the
power supply and the computer but when the switch is opened the power
supply shuts off. So now I'm thinking that maybe there is something
wrong with the motherboard circuit that keeps the power supply on. I
did check the motherboard to make sure it had not also been bathed
with soda and it had not. Nor had the power supply. Only the power
switch and a card reader module had been contaminated. I do not have
another power supply to swap or I would have done that already. Any
thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric