Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default wood flooring (making your own)

On 5/1/2014 8:44 AM, wrote:
I have contemplated making my own for some hardwood in the house. I
have a sawmill near by that seels kiln dried lumber. I can probably
buy a router bit and tongue and groove it, however I am wondering
about the bottom. When I look at a piece of hardwood flooring, I
notice the bottom of it that lays against the subfloor as two
indentations milled into it. What is this for and is it necessary?

Relief so it will more easily set flat on subflooring which inevitably
will have some imperfections despite how well it's prepared. And, yes,
it will make laying flooring w/o it more difficult to avoid
high-centering on occasion. How significant will depend on the subfloor
and also on how wide your flooring strips are going to be. Very narrow
and you can do without.