Posted to alt.home.repair
John G John G is offline

Default Phone Jack Safety And Toddlers ?

Pat formulated on Thursday :
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:10:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/30/2014 6:58 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Know it's a very good idea to cover all electrical outlets with
those Kiddy-safe blank plugs when you have a toddler around, but
is it also necessary for unused phone jacks ?

BTW: what's the max. voltage out of these things ?

guess it is also different "normally," and when a call is being
received. True ? What's the volt. then ?

Do they sell blank plugs for phone wall/floor mounted outlet jacks ?
Have never seen any.

Thanks,
Bob

It's been a while since I researched this, but
the voltages are about 48 VDC "on hook", or
idle. "off hook" is about 5 VDC (talking on
the phone). Ring is about 100 VAC. Only really
dangerous when ringing. Never seen a blank
plug, but it's a good idea.

I have never heard of a real problem with this as the current is very
limited, but it can be quite a surprise to be in contact with a phone
line when it rings. Anyway, I have never seen a blank plug designed
for the purpose of protection. However, any standard crimp-on plug
will work. You (the OP) can buy bags of them at radio shack for a few
dollars. These are meant to be crimped on the end of a phone cord
with a crimping tool, but for this purpose, just plug in the blank
plastic plug with no cable attached.

Pat

A Crimp plug, RJ11 style, would be more dangerous than leaving the
socket open.The hole is VERY SMALL and the plug is small enough for a
child to swallow :-?

--
John G