Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Memory

In article , RJH
scribeth thus
In article ,
NY wrote:
As an aside, I've always wondered about people who say they prefer vinyl
to CD. Do they prefer the imperfections and signal processing that
vinyl introduces, I wonder? Do they find a live performance (mic,
amplifier, speakers) as bad as a CD, or do they find that the
digitisation modifies the signal - can they distinguish live electronic
(all analogue) from CD?

Ignoring any surface noise etc, vinyl adds its own distortion. Which many
just happen to like.

If you carefully copy vinyl to CD I defy anyone to tell the difference in
a properly conducted blind test.

Do it the other way round - more difficult - and most can tell the
difference.

Which proves vinyl is distorting the original.

I understand the need for the use of the word distortion, and agree with
what you say. I'd just add that there's the possibility that somewhere
within medium and process, the alteration of the original signal makes
the sound more lifelike (preferable, better etc).

There has to be a reason for some quite respected musicians and
engineers sticking to analogue (over digital) beyond vanity and fashion.

For Distortion read coloration;!...
--
Tony Sayer