Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default Oil for chain saw

On 4/30/2014 1:56 PM, novel wrote:
I bought a chain saw over a year ago and never had a chance to use
till now. I reread the manual and it says to check the oil. . . .
Would any oil do, including vegetable Oil? Thanks

"dpb" wrote in message ...

D) No. Use the recommended; undoubtedly it'll call for about a 30W chain
oil; while more expensive you can use some engine oil in a pinch.

Chainsaw bar oil is not rated the same way as motor oil. Chainsaw
bar oil is obviously much thicker than 30W motor oil (and cheaper too,
I think.) Bar oil is consumed in use and if motor oil worked OK it
would probably get used up four times as fast as regular bar oil.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs