Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Oil for chain saw

On 4/30/2014 1:56 PM, novel wrote:
I bought a chain saw over a year ago and never had a chance to use
till now. I reread the manual and it says to check the oil. I did
with a 'dip stick", lol and its seems dry. Would oil disapate like
water in a closed area? Would there be a problem using it as is?
Would any oil do, including vegetable Oil? Thanks

B) No. Undoubtedly shipped dry if new.

C) Yes. You'lll wear bar/chain out in a heartbeat if run dry.

D) No. Use the recommended; undoubtedly it'll call for about a 30W
chain oil; while more expensive you can use some engine oil in a pinch.