Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Memory

In article ,
Steve Thackery wrote:
I think that is very well put. To be honest, though, I would have
thought they'd be more likely to compress the dynamic range on vinyl
than on CD, because vinyl has such a limited dynamic range and SNR.

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you?

I remember when cassettes were used for commercial pop demos. Usually
peaked to maximum and then some - I suppose in the hope someone might
think it sounded 'better' on a ghetto blaster or car system.

Then along came DAT. Exactly the same over-mods. On a system which had
inaudible noise and a dynamic range many times that of cassette.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.