Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf Jim Lesurf is offline

Default Memory

In article , RJH
wrote:

I understand the need for the use of the word distortion, and agree with
what you say. I'd just add that there's the possibility that somewhere
within medium and process, the alteration of the original signal makes
the sound more lifelike (preferable, better etc).

Its certainly possible that an LP and a CD of the 'same recording' will
sound different. However the problem is that there are many ways this can
happen that *don't* actually need to arise for any 'inherent' reason. But
are differences caused by those producing the LPs and CDs from the master
recording.

There has to be a reason for some quite respected musicians and
engineers sticking to analogue (over digital) beyond vanity and fashion.

Alas, musicians aren't always a good judge of this. For example, some
violinists who tend to keep asking for their solo to be louder or more
bright relative to the orchestra. The reason being that when working they
have to have the violin almost against their ear. And are used to hearing
all the music at higher levels than is normal with domestic replay. if
you've sat in an orchestra as it plays, you'll know what I mean. Its not a
good place to judge what the audience are hearing unless you know the hall
very well. Which is even harder when the sound in a normal domestic room is
the end-point.

And wrt 'engineers' I think the reality is that most pro audio engineers
are quite happy with digital in my experience. Don't judge the bulk of,
say, AES members by what appears in consumer audio mags.

That said, I guess the actors, etc, in 'Jamaca Inn' also thought the'd got
the sound right... :-)

Jim