Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Memory

In article ,
RJH wrote:
Ignoring any surface noise etc, vinyl adds its own distortion. Which
many just happen to like.

If you carefully copy vinyl to CD I defy anyone to tell the difference in
a properly conducted blind test.

Do it the other way round - more difficult - and most can tell the
difference.

Which proves vinyl is distorting the original.

I understand the need for the use of the word distortion, and agree with
what you say. I'd just add that there's the possibility that somewhere
within medium and process, the alteration of the original signal makes
the sound more lifelike (preferable, better etc).

It may makes some sounds or instruments 'preferable' under some conditions.
But not more accurate to the original. Some types of distortion can make
some instruments sound more exciting. And others worse. Sadly, when it's
the end user system providing that distortion, it can't discriminate.

For once I can agree with you.

heavy 2nd harmonic distortion can make an instrument like a an electric
guitar sound like a reed instrument.

string instruments are nearly all odd harmonics, do to the symmetrical
nature of strings. reeds and brass are asymmetrical and have lots of
even harmonics. I think that the human voice does too. flutes and
recorders and (some voices of) organs are more more odd harmonic and
very low. at that. A flute can look pretty much like a sine wave if
played steadily.

intermodulation between harmonically related notes can create notes that
were never there, too.

Which the heavy metal boys use to create a 'full orchestra out of 'power
chords'

There has to be a reason for some quite respected musicians and
engineers sticking to analogue (over digital) beyond vanity and fashion.

Many simply don't understand what they are listening to. And don't want to.

Exactly., Again the test for me was when I could no longer hear the
hifi, only the recording.

I am listening to radio 2 on my computer speakers. Its vile. Everything
has a thick cardboardy sound and a pronounced bass resonance about
200hz. That's the speakers of course.

But if you are used to it anything else sounds 'wrong'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.