Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Memory

On 30/04/14 14:47, RJH wrote:
On 30/04/2014 11:32, NY wrote:
"RJH" wrote in message

snip

I'm talking about audiophiles who prefer the *sound* of vinyl over CD.
Now they are perfectly entitled to, but I'm intrigued to work out what
it is that they prefer - they say that sound of CDs is cold and
clinical, and too perfect. Fine. But they make it sound as if the CD
process *introduces* something that the unrecorded electronic sound
doesn't have.

Ah, right. For myself it's a certain 'depth' that the sound brings,
that's especially persuasive on things like female vocal.

where needle resonances and distortion predominate.

Other words
like natural, coherent, lifelike, 3D.

natural resonant IM disortion stuff that wasn't in the original
recording, yeah stuff like that..

I'd suggest the CD leaves
something out. It really is a personal thing, and is overall a sound I
like.

No it juts doesn't put anything IN.

I remember years ago - must have been te 70s - visiting a recoding
studio and admiring the wonderful array of monitor speakers.

And on top of the mixing console were two really cheap nasty speakers..

"What are those?"

"That's how we hear what it will sound like on a ghettoblaster in
Peckham high street" they said "if its that sort of market, we put stuff
in and take stuff out so it sounds as good as possible"

You think they didn't do the same for the average dork with a Garrard
SP25 and a cheap Shure cartridge?

That's why lot of 'digital remastering' and 'remixes' are going on of
classic material.

because it needs to be remixed for digital which doesn't have any of
those mechanical resonances and distortions in it.

stick a disc on a record player that isnt going round and start tapping.

the cartridge the arm, the deck..if its a valve amp the valves..every
one of those is a resonant system that can and will be picked up by the
amplifier.

Now try that on a CD...

--
Ineptocracy