Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Memory

On 30/04/14 13:47, Jim Lesurf wrote:
4kHz bandwidth doesn't mean 4 samples/sec, and home cassettes and R2Rs
tend to be stereo. So your figure above seems to have missed a few factors.
However, regardless of that, "I'd say" isn't a basis for such a claim
beyond it being an assertion of faith. To try and help, I'd suggest people
base what they say on professionally measured results. e.g.

You diagram shows exactly what I am saying the 'distance' between flat
distortionless signal and the noise floor is about 50db and ends around
4-5khz..

sample rate has nothing to do with anything. I merely calculated that a
4khz FRAME rate you got around 40Kbps throughput.

And extrapolated that to a reasonable fugure of what a digital recording
on a cassette MIGHT be able to do.

If you are talking about actual INFORMATION on a tape, well some would
say in the case of many recordings there is none of any value at all.

The fact is that most music will fit very adequately in about 128kbps at
full quality.

The less instruments there are the less it actually needs.

My ultimate test of a hi-fi system was never to listen to the music,
only to the applause afterwards. If you could hear each individual
handclap instead of a mush of white noise, you had a very top line
system indeed.

someone calculated that the information content of speech was about
50bps by the way.

In terms of getting an intelligible message across rather than a hifi one.

The interesting thing is that freeview is stat muxed. There is no
'bitrate' for any given channel.

so good audio depends on other channels being 'quiet' at that point in
time..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.