Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone Jack Safety And Toddlers ?

On 4/30/2014 5:58 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Know it's a very good idea to cover all electrical outlets with those
Kiddy-safe blank plugs when you have a toddler around, but is it also
necessary for unused phone jacks ?

BTW: what's the max. voltage out of these things ?

guess it is also different "normally," and when a call is being
received. True ? What's the volt. then ?

Do they sell blank plugs for phone wall/floor mounted outlet jacks ?
Have never seen any.

Thanks, Bob

---

The normal "on hook" talk battery voltage for a POTS line is 48 volts DC
and it will drop to 6-12 volts DC "off hook". The current of this DC
voltage is limited and not necessarily dangerous but the ringing voltage
is a nominal 90 volts AC at 20 cycles. The talk battery voltage can
sting an adult and the ring voltage can give an adult a bite but the
current of the voltages found on a POTS line is not very high. A toddler
might experience a great deal of pain if he sticks his tiny finger in a
phone jack when the phone line gets ringing voltage but it's not going
to stop his heart. I you are really worried, you can buy a small package
of the plugs you see on the end of phone cords and slip them into the
unused jacks. The plugs are available almost everywhere at any hardware
store. You will need some tweezers or needle nose pliers to get the plug
out when you wish to use the phone jack again. When I was a toddler, I
didn't mess around. I got under my mother's Singer Sewing Machine,
unplugged the female end of the power cord from underneath the machine
and proceeded to stick it into my mouth to find out what it tasted like.
I was told I turned blue and my diaper needed changing utilizing a
shovel. I'm sure that's the reason I have such an electric personality. ^_^

Worry about power cords that plug into the back of computers and many
appliances these days. I'm sure a toddler would think they were very
tasty. ^_^

TDD