Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Memory

On 30/04/2014 09:49, NY wrote:

snip

My threshold for detecting artefacts in audio is around 128 kbps for
MP3: I can distinguish that from anything higher, but I can't hear any
difference between (for example) 192 and 320 kbps.

Agreed on the whole.

The difference between analogue (especially vinyl) and digital (CD) is
VERY noticeable: vinyl suffers very badly from disc noise, even on a
brand new record from an expensive record label (ie not made on the
cheap), whereas CD sounds perfect. And dust and scratches are very hard
to avoid.

Apart from between tracks and quiet sections, it is largely inaudible to
me. And when I can hear it it doesn't bother me. But that is a
preference - I know that's an artefact of the medium. In a sense it's
supposed to be there, and my brain 9sort of!) filters it.

As an aside, I've always wondered about people who say they prefer vinyl
to CD. Do they prefer the imperfections and signal processing that vinyl
introduces, I wonder? Do they find a live performance (mic, amplifier,
speakers) as bad as a CD, or do they find that the digitisation modifies
the signal - can they distinguish live electronic (all analogue) from CD?

I don't think there's a single reason. Young folk, I suspect, like the
physical medium that's completely lost on mp3, and IMO largely absent on
CD. They like the tactile aspect, too. I don't think sound quality as
such figures to much of an extent - IME they don't have playback systems
capable of significant differentiation.

For me, often I prefer the sound, but that's partly to do with the
quality of 'transcribed' (not sure of the proper word) recording, rather
than the capacity of the medium. But sound quality can be excellent -
and often is, at least on my system. I also tend to listen to a whole
record, rather than skit about with the audio streamer thing I have.

Other reasons - largely sentimental, plus those ascribed to the
youngsters, above.

Overall, though, I don't take the vinyl vs CD thing too seriously. I
like and use them both, and each have strengths and weaknesses.

--
Cheers, Rob