Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Memory

NY wrote:

As an aside, I've always wondered about people who say they prefer vinyl to
CD. Do they prefer the imperfections and signal processing that vinyl
introduces, I wonder? Do they find a live performance (mic, amplifier,
speakers) as bad as a CD, or do they find that the digitisation modifies the
signal - can they distinguish live electronic (all analogue) from CD?

I recall being a bit concerned about the sibilance I was
experiencing playing a particular folk LP (yes, that long ago).
When I next saw the artist, live and without any amplification,
it was quite clear that the recording was accurate :-)

As a long time fan of live music, usually in the folk field, I
have long felt that there is a problem. I have been to a number
of events where the sound at the venue has been pretty appalling,
but the radio recording has been excellent. One was Albion Band
at Fleetwood a good while ago; I stuck my head inside the control
van during the set, and it sounded great, inside the great domed
hall it was just a mush.

There has to be something really ironic about having to go home
to be able to listen to a live event properly.

I once (and only once) went to see Equation at Leicester Phoenix.
I sat next to the sound desk, and didn't hear a single word of
lyric all night. I could only assume this was intentional.

Seth Lakeman, at Loughborough festival a few years ago, was
deafening, (but incomprehensible) though the rest of the
evening's performers were fine. I really like his CDs, but would
never want to see him live again.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK