Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
NY NY is offline

Default Memory

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Pity the same standards are not applied to licensing a station now as were
applied even when Channel 4 was created though - we have 60+ channels of
useless **** when instead the bandwidth could have gone to making about 10
channels *really good* DTV quality.

Agreed. There are far too many dross channels (shopping, holidays,
docusoaps) which should be made to reduce their bitrates to allow room for
the mainstream channels. Even when additional multiplexes have been
introduced, they have been to provide more channels (eg HD versions of SD
channels) rather than to give existing channels more bandwidth.

Any why in god's name did they shove radio on the same muxes?

The quality of radio over Freeview is a lot better than on DAB. It is much
easier to schedule a recording of radio on Freeview than to work out how to
scehdule a recording from DAB radio.

It's all going to become moot anyway as most of the population move
towards streaming media over the Internet. I never watch Freeview now -
Netflix and iPlayer and Youtube[1].

I mostly watch on Freeview (well, I record and watch later, so I can edit
out adverts) because the picture quality and the ability to be able to go
instantly to any part of the recording are much better with my own off-air
recording than with iPlayer or the ITV, CH4 or CH5 equivalents - and there's
no time limit within which you've got to watch a programme before it is
removed from the server.