Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Memory

On 30/04/14 08:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yeah but you are so young you've probably never seen or heard what
good systems fed with good signals are like or haven't had the
artifacts of the systems failings pointed out.

The population as a whole seem to think that Freeview DTTV is fine. I
find it almost unwatchable with all the artifacts the from lossy
compression that is applied to bring the 1 *Giga* bps plus out of the
back of a camera to around 2 *Mega* bps on Freeview. DSAT is better
but still has some problems but no where near as distracting. Both
DTV and DSAT, even in HD, are kicked into a cocked hat by Blu-Ray on
a decent "Full-HD" screen.

625 line on an *average* set wasn't that great either - no artifacts,
but I found the slight fuzziness annoying when I had DTV and Analogue
side by side.

Pity the same standards are not applied to licensing a station now as
were applied even when Channel 4 was created though - we have 60+
channels of useless **** when instead the bandwidth could have gone to
making about 10 channels *really good* DTV quality.

Any why in god's name did they shove radio on the same muxes?

It's all going to become moot anyway as most of the population move
towards streaming media over the Internet. I never watch Freeview now -
Netflix and iPlayer and Youtube[1].

[1] There is a surprising amount of original content - mostly "shorts",
but also some other interesting stuff.